File Services Plan (Draft)
I. Pilot and Revise
- Work within File Services Working Group to use proposed system and
determine what needs to be improved.
- Check Assumptions: e.g. do we need so many
drive letters? We will use the User Services File Services
wish-list as a guide.
- Revise system until it is a reasonable replacement.
II. Prepare Server and Documentation
Server side conversion scripts to be written:
- mine the trustee DB to determine the groups and rights
- add the users to the proper groups
- create the directories to the target servers
- assign the posix rights to the directories
There should be documentation to cover:
- Set up a domain member
- Set up a hybrid domain member
- Grant and remove file rights
- Manage Mappings (for admins)
- Connect from Web
- Connect from Mac
- Connect from Windows for non-domain members
- Connect from Windows for domain members (just login)
III. Begin Transition Period
- Managed Windows Desktops (e.g. Labs) will have both the Novell client
and will use Native Windows authentication to login (which will pass
credentials back to Novell clients behind the scenes).
- During this time, drives will be on either platform (Novell or
SMB) but will be moved to SMB during a series out Service Outages on
agreed upon dates.
- We will begin by moving drives that are used by less people,
e.g. the ITS N drive.
IV. Remove Novell
All users should now be on our SMB-based system. Novell Clients will
be uninstalled and Novell Servers will be retired.